Best Horror Book Review: The Day of the Triffids

Wow, it's been YEARS since I checked into this list and read something from it. I read another book from the list recently and thought it would be simple to take up where I left off, but I can't find my original spreadsheet and I had to search through the dregs of my old blog to find information on what I'd read on it. 

Years ago, I and two of my friends decided we were going to read all the books on Nightmare Magazine's Best Horror list to learn more about writing horror. I was going at a healthy clip before getting derailed. So I'm going to do a catch up here of what was on the list and what I've read. I did not review books I'd already read before finding the list, but maybe I should have. I might in the future, but there are plenty I haven't read that I'd like to do first.

The list is below since it's 100 books. But here's my review of The Day of the Triffids, by John Wyndham.


Triffids is a post-apocalyptic story, but what sets it apart is a dual natured approach. There is not simply one thing to fear, but two.

An event occurs that blinds people unless they were somewhere or in a situation that kept them safe. For example, the main character Bill Masen awakes after eye surgery to find himself alone (a la The Walking Dead, which was written way after). He's sighted because he wasn't around to look at whatever blinded people. Another example are those who were already blind.

This blindness makes the other danger much more harmful: triffids. Triffids are plants believed to have been created by the Russians (the book was published originally in 1951). The triffids are somewhat sentient, carnivorous, and can move, but their danger has been ignored while the British have been using them for oil. They've grown lashes, though, which kill anyone they come into contact with. Imagine stumbling around blind when these triffids are everywhere.

I left out a third element: fellow humans. As always, in a post-apocalyptic story the biggest enemy is often people. The monsters and what led to each apocalypse just set the stage and add an extra element to fight or deal with. Different groups set out to capture survivors to accomplish whatever dastardly plan they have. Others loot. Some want to harm other people for the fun of it. Some have good intentions. It's hard to know who's who, which is, of course, a reflection of any society in general.

The ways things are laid out in this book are interesting, as are the many challenges thrown the way of Bill and those around him. The characters are well developed. Bill's tone as he conveys what's going on is fairly calm and very British. He's rounded up, forced to do dangerous labor, and pushed to take a wife among the survivors for questionable reasons. Despite the age of the book, it was well paced, and I feel like it might have set some of the tropes, pacing, and mechanisms in many future post-apocalyptic stories, including the prevalent zombie ones. This is definitely one I don't regret having read. I was so happy to find it in an antiquities book shop by York Minster in York, UK. (I could have bought a zillion books from there.)

I meant to write this review directly after I read the book, so I don't have as much to say as I would have then.

Here's the list (and the link to the original) plus another list I'd added that had the 50 Best Horror Novels. Most didn't overlap, likely because this list seemed more modern. I know I'd added books from two other lists to it, including one of all female authors, but I didn't feel like digging through all those posts to find those lists, so other than the ones I've already reviewed, I'm sticking to the initial two going forward.

AR at the beginning means I had already read it before the list.

If it's underlined and bolded, you can click on it and read my original review.

Books of Blood 1-3, Clive Barker

The Damnation Game, Clive Barker

The Hellbound Heart, Clive Barker

The Imago Sequence and Other Stories, Laird Barron

AR - The Exorcist, William Peter Blatty

Psycho, Robert Bloch

From the Dust Returned, Ray Bradbury

The October Country, Ray Bradbury

AR - Something Wicked This Way Comes, Ray Bradbury

Graveyard People, Gary A. Braunbeck

In Silent Graves, Gary A. Braunbeck

Drawing Blood, Poppy Z. Brite

Lost Souls, Poppy Z. Brite

AR - Love in Vein, Poppy Z. Brite and Martin H. Greenberg

Alone With the Horrors, Ramsey Campbell

The Doll Who Ate His Mother, Ramsey Campbell

The Nameless, Ramsey Campbell

Nazareth Hill, Ramsey Campbell

The Shallow End of the Pool, Adam-Troy Castro

Shivers, Richard Chizmar

AR - Sunglasses After Dark, Nancy A. Collins

AR - The Best Horror of the Year Volume 1, Ellen Datlow

Darkness, Ellen Datlow

Inferno, Ellen Datlow

The Year's Best Fantasy First Annual Collection, Ellen Datlow and Terri Windling

My Soul to Keep, Tananarive Due

Nightmare Seasons, Charles L. Grant

Shadows, Charles L. Grant

The Year's Best Fantasy & Horror 2010, Paula Guran

Those Who Hunt the Night, Barbara Hambly

AR - The Silence of the Lambs, Thomas Harris

The Dark Descent, David G. Hartwell

20th Century Ghosts, Joe Hill

Dead in the Water, Nancy Holder

Just an Ordinary Day, Shirley Jackson

AR - The Haunting of Hill House, Shirley Jackson

The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, Ramsey Campbell and Stephen Jones

Ghoul, Brian Keene

The Red Tree, Caitlin R. Kiernan

Silk, Caitlin R. Kiernan

AR - Bag of Bones, Stephen King

AR - IT, Stephen King

AR - Night Shift, Stephen King

AR - Salem's Lot, Stephen King

AR - The Shining, Stephen King

AR - Skeleton Crew, Stephen King

AR - The Stand, Stephen King

AR - Pet Semetary, Stephen King

The Cipher, Kathe Koja

AR - The Bad Place, Dean Koontz

AR - Strangers, Dean Koontz

The Taking, Dean Koontz

Mr. Gaunt and Other Uneasy Encounters, John Langan

Audrey's Door, Sarah Langan

The Keeper, Sarah Langan

The Missing, Sarah Langan

The Drive-in, Joe R. Lansdale

Savage Season, Joe R. Lansdale

Berserk, Tim Lebbon

The Nature of Balance, Tim Lebbon

AR - Rosemary's Baby, Ira Levin

The Shadow at the Bottom of the World, Thomas Ligotti

The Ignored, Bentley Little

The Call of Cthulu and Other Weird Stories, H.P. Lovecraft

The Dreams in the Witch House and Other Weird Stories, H.P. Lovecraft

The Thing on the Doorstep and Other Weird Stories, H.P. Lovecraft

Ghost Road Blues, Jonathan Maberry

Hell House, Richard Matheson

AR - I Am Legend, Richard Matheson

Dark Forces, Kirby McCauley

Swan Song, Robert R. McCammon

The Wolf's Hour, Robert R. McCammon

Wet Work, Philip Nutman

Zombie, Joyce Carol Oates

A Choir of Ill Children, Tom Piccirilli

AR - Interview with the Vampire, Anne Rice

AR - The Vampire Lestat, Anne Rice

Night Visions 1, Alan Ryan

999, Al Sarrantonio

It's Only Temporary, Eric Shapiro

AR - Frankenstein, Mary Shelley

Carrion Comfort, Dan Simmons

Song of Kali, Dan Simmons

Summer of Night, Dan Simmons

The Terror, Dan Simmons

The Bridge, John Skipp and Craig Spector

Book of the Dead, John Skipp and Craig Spector

Still Dead, John Skipp and Craig Spector

AR - Dracula, Bram Stoker

A Dark Matter, Peter Straub

AR - Floating Dragon, Peter Straub

Ghost Story, Peter Straub

In the Night Room, Peter Straub

AR - Lost Boy Lost Girl, Peter Straub

Shadowland, Peter Straub

The Keep, F. Paul Wilson

Nightworld, F. Paul Wilson

The Tomb, F. Paul Wilson

Prime Evil, Douglas E. Winter

The Day of the Triffids, John Wyndham

Hotel Transylvania, Chelsea Quinn Yarboro

Rebecca, Daphne du Maurier

AR - Lord of the Flies, William Golding

AR - American Psycho, Bret Easton Ellis

Blood Meridian, Cormac McCarthy

The Hunger, Alma Katsu

Coraline, Neil Gaiman

A Scanner Darkly, Philip K. Dick

The Handmaid's Tale, Margaret Atwood

The Hacienda, Isabel Canas

Requiem for a Dream, Hubert Selby, Jr

AR - The House Across the Lake, Riley Sager

Lapvona, Ottessa Moshfegh

Blindness, Jose Saramago

The Children on the Hill, Jennifer McMahon

The Resting Place, Camilla Sten

The 120 Days of Sodom, Marquis de Sade

The Witches, Roald Dahl

The Trial, Franz Kafka

Slaughterhouse Five, Kurt Vonnegut

1Q84, Haruki Murakami

Invisible Man, Ralph Ellison

AR - Baby Teeth, Zoje Stage

Pollen, Jeff Noon

AR - Beloved, Toni Morrison

We, Yevgeny Zamyatin

AR - The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, Stieg Larsson

The Stranger, Albert Camus

Disgrace, J.M. Coetzee

Tropic of Cancer, Henry Miller

The Testaments, Margaret Atwood

Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk, Ben Fountain

Cock and Bull, Will Self

Naked Lunch, William Burroughs

House of Leaves, Mark Z. Danielewsk

AR - Bird Box, Josh Malerman

Hidden Pictures, Jason Rekulak

The Ruins, Scott Smith

Come Closer, Sara Gran

The Deep, Nick Cutter

AR - Tender is the Flesh, Agustina Bazterrica

The Bad Seed, William March

1984, George Orwell

Woman in Black, Susan Hill

Naomi's Room, Jonathan Aycliffe

The Resort, Bentley Little

The Collector, John Fowles

Stepford Wives, Ira Levin

Bubba Ho-Tep, Joe R. Lansdale

Invasion, Robin Cook

John Dies at the End, David Wong

The Girl Next Door, Jack Ketchum

Dawn Xenogenesis Book 1, Octavia E. Butler

Needful Things, Stephen King

Flowers in the Attic, V.C. Andrews

The Bottoms, Joe R. Lansdale

Penpal, Dathan Auerbach

World War Z, Max Brooks

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IWSG - 2026 Goals, Burnout, 2025 Stats/Accomplishments, & New Releases

IWSG - I'm FREE!

IWSG - Big Things to Come?