IWSG - Kickstarter Mania Ayiiiiii

It's time for the October Insecure Writer's Support Group!

Created by Alex J. Cavanaugh, the IWSG provides a place for writers to come together and share their insecurities. All are welcome. Simply click on Alex's name and add your blog to the list.

Our co-hosts this month are: Ronel Janse van Vuuren, Liza at Middle Passages, J.H. Moncrieff, and Jemima Pett. Be sure to pay them a visit as a thank you for co-hosting!

The optional question this month is: Many people are calling for writers who use AI to disclose it. Most who employ ghostwriters do not admit it - do you think authors who use ghostwriters should have to disclose that, too?

I'm skipping this question. I feel like it could lead to arguments or hurt feelings, and that's not why I take part in the IWSG.

You may remember last month I was afraid no one would bid on my Kickstarter and I wouldn't fund. That it would be a giant humiliation. I'm happy to say that didn't happen. As of the time I'm writing this, I'm at 471% funded! The Kickstarter is still going until October 13. It had actually fully funded by the time I woke up after hitting publish right before bed. I'd keel over in delight if it hit $1000 (it's currently at just over $700). Now, is it a bit humbling running a Kickstarter at the same time as Clive Barker and Kobo's Mark Lefebvre? Absolutely. But I'm still happy with how my little KS is going.



I've been trying to make notes so I can do a full post after it's ended and I've fulfilled everything, so I can give a full report. If it looks like it'll be too long, though, I'll break it down into pieces. Probably setup, campaign, and fulfillment. There may be an extra one called The Catastrophe. Yeah, that happened last night, and I won't know in how many ways I'm going to regret it until later.

I will say that it's a huge amount of work. But so are book launches. Given, I'll still be doing a bit of a launch for Nuts...probably? I should know by the November IWSG what things are looking like. 

Aside from being a lot of work, though, I've found it to be testing my creativity, and it's been exciting planning what I was going to offer, as well as the various stretch goals/rewards. I've got a poll up right now on the Kickstarter asking what flash reward they'd like to see, so tomorrow I'll be announcing what won and what the flash goal is. It can be very interactive. I'm sure I'm less interactive than others, but I hate bugging people.

I also already have ideas for future ones where I can try out the fun stuff, like bespoke (decorative hardcover) editions. But I'll tell you right now that I'm glad I didn't overdo it this time. If I already had experience doing hardcovers, I would have done that, though.

Submission Stats for September:

2 submissions

0 acceptances

0 rejections

Have you considered doing a Kickstarter? What holds you back? What are your insecurities? Have you been submitting stories/querying? How's that going?

May you find your Muse.

Comments

  1. Almost five hundred percent funded - that is awesome! Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go with the Kickstarter! We have pondered using it for various projects, but you're right, it is a LOT of work, and it's one of those things you don't know what you don't know until you're there, but it sounds like you made a great splash! (As I knew you would.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad that your Kickstarter is going well! I'm looking forward to reading about your experience.

    Ronel the Mythmaker

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed reading about your Kickstarter experience. I decided not to do one right now, but it's something I'm thinking about for future books.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

IWSG - 2026 Goals, Burnout, 2025 Stats/Accomplishments, & New Releases

IWSG - Regrets, C. Lee McKenzie Book Release, & Lots in Progress and Upcoming!

IWSG - I'm FREE!