IWSG - Regrets, C. Lee McKenzie Book Release, & Lots in Progress and Upcoming!
Hi! It's time for the August Insecure Writer's Support Group!
The IWSG was created by Alex J. Cavanaugh for writers to address their insecurities and lend support to their fellow writers. Anyone can join. Simply click on Alex's name and add your blog link to the list, then post the first Wednesday of every month.
I'm co-hosting this month with deidre Knight, Liza, and Pat Garcia!
The optional question this month is: As a writer/author what is something you regret? Or something that you wish you'd done differently in your writing process?
The only things I regret are the missed opportunities. I make it a rule to take on things that scare me and to learn and try new things, and I don't regret any of those things I've done. But I regret the times where I've been out of the writing world after various real world things, such as how long it took me to get back into the writing world when my dad died, or how I completely stepped out of it during my previous hell job and the period of time where I had too many jobs at once. Each of those time periods represents missed opportunities. I could be so much further in my writing journey. Those breaks also couldn't be helped. It's not like I purposely dropped out of everything. And perhaps I'm right where I'm supposed to be. Though speaking of which, it turns out I need a total knee replacement and am not a candidate for milder solutions, but because of my age (I'm 48) my ortho has recommended I grin and bear it for a few more years. I'm considering going forward with it now, but I'm worried that I'll get sidelined in the writing world again if my recovery doesn't go well. It may be the hardest decision I've had to make so far in my life.
In writing news, I'm looking at starting my first Kickstarter in conjunction with several other authors, so I'm in a deep dive of research right now! I've written some new short stories, I'm submitting, and I've started the next Myth Stalker novel (I'm just over 4000 words in, so *just* started, but it's going and I'm having fun with it). It's also looking like I'll be helping put on a couple new events, one in Vegas, one in Denver, in the next year or so. I'm also thinking of having some of my photo prints at the table at an upcoming signing. So a lot in the works!
I've got some upcoming events, but first here's some information on C. Lee McKenzie's newest release! (The cover is gorgeous!!)
When eighteen-year-old Calista Moonwater D'White discovers she's a witch, ghosts besiege her for help, villagers try to kill her, and vengeful ancestors threaten to destroy everything she loves.
That Moonwater Witch is available from the following stores:
Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Smashwords | Kobo
I have a story in one of the anthologies included in this Faerie Fantasy Bundle!
If you're not familiar with bundles, you get to set your own price and get either three collections from this bundle (minimum $5 up to $29) or all fifteen collections ($30 and up). My story is in the $30 and up bundle, and is in Procession of Faeries Volumes 4-6.
For more information, you can visit Blackbird Publishing.
The link to the bundle is HERE.
I'll be selling books at the Creepatorium again:
And I've gotten confirmation that I'll be on at least two panels at the Colorado Festival of Horror in September. More info on that later.
Submission Stats for July:
9 short story submissions
4 short story rejections
0 short story acceptances
11 short stories currently on submission
2 novel query rejections
Have you been submitting? What are your insecurities? How about your regrets? What do you not regret that you think others might? What exciting things do you have in the works?
May you find your Muse.





Congratulations to Lee and cool you are on some panels.
ReplyDeleteReal life has a way of dominating.
I know several people who have done knee replacement and it's not a walk in the park. However, after the first awful week you will be laid up with time to write!
And thanks for co-hosting today!
DeleteCongrats to Lee on her new book. Like you said, these writing breaks couldn't be helped. I've had many times when important things, like taking care of my husband and mom, my daughter's activities, and work required me to take a break from writing. They're important too. Good luck with your knee surgery. Thanks for co-hosting.
ReplyDeleteCongrats to Lee, love the cover of her new book. I'd been getting cortisone shots and other treatments for my knees for 15 years. The shots stopped working altogether and with bone on bone my doctor said it was past time to get knee replacements. Still I waited another 2 years. I had the first knee replacement and 2 years later the 2nd. It's not pleasant for the first 2-3 months, but tolerable. I couldn't walk around the block without hobbling in pain, now I can go for miles. Good Luck with your decision and all your writing endeavors.
ReplyDeleteOh, and thank you for co-hosting!!!
DeleteCongrats to Lee!
ReplyDeleteGrin and bear it? I'd say not.
Yay for Lee!!! Wishing her epic sales. Also, while you call those regrets, I'd say it's just life. There are always bumps along the path, eh? Some throw us a little off, some throw us WAY off, and others toss our feet onto a completely new road.
ReplyDeleteI feel your pain (but in the hip, not knee). Sending cheese and peace!
Congratulations to Lee for her novel and to you for your panels and all you are doing for the writing community. And yay, new story!
ReplyDeleteAs a surgery veteran (19 now in my lifetime), I can say, yes, they take a long, long time to recover from. If you decide to go that route, I highly recommend gifting yourself with a planned time of rest, a binder/organized system full of restful, super positive, and encouraging ideas/quotes/whatever is needed, and potentially ask people who love you to gift you with a month's worth of a cleaning service/laundry service/etc. That's way better than flowers.
I know what you mean about life making you pause. It forced me into hiatus for nearly a decade.
ReplyDeleteSorry to hear you're hurting. Hope you can hang in there for a while longer. Those artificial knee joints don't last forever.
Thanks for co-hosting.
I hear what you're saying about those missed opportunities! But it seems you've moved on and are doing some exciting things in this writing world. Congrats on the new story and the impressive July submissions. You make me tired just reading all you did last month.
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for giving my book a shout-out. That was most thoughtful. And thanks for co-hosting today!
Congrats to Lee on the new novel, and best to you with the story bundles! I agree we mostly regret negatives--what we didn't do. Think hard about that knee--I can see something like that leading you gradually away from activities you love. You are young to need a new one, but everyone I know who's gotten new knees is happy about it, even if the recovery takes longer than hoped (heck, maybe being so young you'd get over it faster!)
ReplyDeleteOh, yeah--I've been submitting, at least a little bit! You are my inspiration for that :)
Congratulations to Lee on the new release. You're right, that cover is gorgeous. Thanks for co-hosting today!
ReplyDeleteRebecca's right, you are an inspiration! Always:-) Thanks for co-hosting with us!
ReplyDeleteDespite all that's going on, you give us an amazing summary of accomplishments (publications, submissions, and marketing!). Your insights about straying off the plan are also very helpful, for we all face challenges. Yes, I love starting each morning with writing, but sometimes . . . real life gets in the way. Let's persevere!
ReplyDeleteReal life always interrupts the creative process. It is how you deal with those interruptions that counts. You seem to have dealt with them in the best way possible. We should take lessons.
ReplyDeleteKnee replacement sucks. I hope yours will go smoothly, whenever you decide to do it.
Congrats to Lee on her book release.
I'll be curious how Kickstarter works for you and your group. It's enticing.
ReplyDeleteI'm not sure why your orthopedist suggests you put off total knee replacement for a few years, but because of a confounding medical condition that defied diagnosis, I put mine off and was successful with my personal choice of putting off my surgery for many years with a combination of shots, physical therapy, and KT athletic tape. The PT was probably the key element. Good luck.
ReplyDeleteLife has a way of interfering with our plans for sure, Shannon. Good luck with your knees. That sounds so painful. All the best with your upcoming events and thanks for sharing Lee's book! Take care of yourself! Oh, and thanks for cohosting today.
ReplyDelete